Monday, February 21, 2005

Fired for blogging

This seems to be the recent hot topic of discussion everywhere. XYZ fired for blogging. ABC fired for blogging. Why are people being fired for blogging? What is wrong. Blog is a personal web space of a person to put out their opinion about anything in their own sweet terms.

My definition of a blog is an e-version of one's personal diary. It is also used a place to broadcast your personal opinion on any topic of your interest to the whole wide world. So why is it that firms fire their employees for blogging? Is there any unwritten rule that you are supposed to reveal any company information (as simple as the work culture and atmosphere) in the blogspace?

I can understand when the case involves revealing crucial financial information or HR policies on employee performance appraisal system or such kinds... But when you are trying to talk about your perception of the work culture of the firm in which you work, why is even that held against the employee raising the thought?

Just a few questions in my mind. Am not sure if I will be able to answer them myself... But I wanted to put them down some where so that I can concentrate on other things instead of moving in circles and coming back to these same questions all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment