Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The company wide meeting sterday - An eye opener

Well... The meeting may not have been an eye opener in the literal sense... Just that it made me accept the hard facts of reality that I was trying to neglect by convincing myself that it was my imagination working overtime. My friends have always told me that I am a vivid dreamer who keeps imagining stuff that would eventually spoil my own peace of mind. Very close friends who understand me well, keep saying that I am capable to jamming my mind with all sorts of garbage that is unnecessary coz such things that I fear of will never ever happen. We had a company wide meeting yesterday evening that was addressed by 3 people: my CEO, a VP, and a product manager. All the three gave presentations, which they prepared in exclusion from each other, but somehow the topic that was discussed kind of overlapped. It was more on the fact about company vision, mission, and culture. Of course, it also talked about how faith/belief in what you do/follow and the passion for something that you want are important to bring sense to the work that you do. Certain things that caught my interest were:
  1. It is not a grave sin to make mistakes. To err is human. No one is gonna punish you for your mistakes.
  2. If you do not fail in something, that means you are not doing anything at all. Only failures teach you lessons that help you lead a successful life.
  3. It is not wrong to be open and outspoken. (Though my nature is in no way in sync with the point, it just did catch my attention).
  4. Accept your mistakes instead of trying to defend them.
  5. Do not fear failure. Having a detached attachment will make it far easier to cope with failure.
  6. Never give up. When you have a failure, do not get dejected and give up the urge to fight back. Always learn from that failure and start thinking what next!!!
  7. Career progression is a MAYA. There is nothing called a steady career progression.
  8. Follow your dreams however wild they are. Someday, you will succeed in making your dream a reality.
All this was being replayed in my mind and as soon as I reached home, I wanted to share this with my Mom along with a few doubts that were still lingering in my mind. All the above can be implemented easily to any materialistic work that we take up. But when it comes to handling close relations and sorting out problem with your first circle of family members, your expectations mar your logical reasoning. Then repeated failure makes you give up at some point and you start becoming indifferent towards that person or relationship. This indifference is not a healthy sign when it starts showing up within a family. My mom did agree with me, but unfortunately both of us did not know what would the course of action to resolve if such a situation does crop up. Though these doubts are still there in my mind, the reality from which I was turning away hit me hard on the face and my attitude towards a lot of things changed. Today morning, I felt very different and nice when I started my day.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to know that the presentation helped u a lot.....

    I wld dread such presentation - mere words told in the pretext of motivating the employees.....Shher bakwaas.....

    Exclusive preparations - same topic --- I bet the topic was probably to motivate a demotivated lot....

    And the list of things u have mentioned seems like taken from quoteaday.com....:-)

    I dont think anyone needs such mundane repetition of famous quotes to ge their act together....

    It just needs the conscience to work for what you earn - something the software engineers have forgotten about.....

    "No one is gonna punish u for mistakes..Be open and outspoken..." yep try doing that and u know u'll not be forgiven for ur mistakes and if you are outspoken about it, you will soon see the door.....
    "Never give up- fix more CRS"
    "Career Progression is MAYA - Dude, we dont ahve enuff money and position to offer you..."

    So, lifes simple....all u got to do is work hard, make urself feel you deserve what you earn and do the job you like......and for this I guess one doesnt need a hypocrite management to comes with quotes....

    BTW, post is not to offend you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No issues. It is nice to know various view points. There is nothing in the post to hurt me. And my post was just to acknowledge the fact that there were certain pointers that made me realize a few hard truths. That is it. Nothing more and nothing less. I totally agree with what you say.

    ReplyDelete