Sunday, June 26, 2022

A Potpourri of Drabble by Harshita Nanda

I was hearing the word Drabble for the first time. I am a fan of the way Harshita spins her stories, full of emotions, twists and turns, and social messages. It was a no brainer that this would be on my reading list. I had the time of my life reading through the 100 drabbles that are part of her book aptly named A Potpourri of Drabble

This collection of drabble brings with it a potpourri of stories filled with social message, highlighting the social conundrum, hypocrisy, irony, manipulation, love in all its form and more. In 100 words she spins a beautiful picture not just about the characters, but also their background, emotions, the event that is unfolding and, in some cases, even the back story. While the stories themselves are complete, it also leaves you wanting to read more about the incidents of the characters who appear in the drabble. 

Cover page of A Potpourri of Drabble by Harshita Nanda

The story titled Kitchen was most gut wrenching and highlights one of the most sinister issues in many homes, yet the least discussed societal evil. While awareness is quite high about what constitutes domestic violence many do not understand how to deal with the issue when it unfolds right up close to them – in their neighbourhood, friends’ homes, within family relations or even inside one’s own home. Understanding the various layers and kinds of domestic abuse/violence and knowing how to address them for self and others is a high time necessity. With just 100 words, Harshita not only spun the story, she also was able to express the trauma that Sheela endured due this societal evil. 

The closest to my heart is The Hidden Power. It highlights the power of Humanity above all. If that is alive, then there is a meaning to our lives on this planet. 

The Red Nail Polish was another one of my favourites, that brought out the importance of guilt free self-indulgence and the humaneness of inclusivity in extending the same courtesy to those who make our lives easier every day. 

The Messy Room brought out the ugly facet of our lives that differentiates based on social status. It was soul stirring to read this reality that is still very much existent even in today’s times. 

In Malini from Who Is Saner?, I saw a bit of myself. To know what I mean, do read this story and then my blog on My Volunteering Journey.

I just could not help but smile when I read A Bowl Full of Gulab Jamuns, remembering my younger days when I used to feel similar urge when I saw a Boondhi Laddoo. Now I would like to think I have a little more control or at least learnt to regulate that urge.

The last few stories that were inspired from the happenings of the 2 years of pandemic life were hard to ignore. The most soul ripping one was Time was Running out. How many families went through similar realities during those two years of lockdown lifestyle enduring hardships that we never thought could be possible. Many lives lost, affected, and damaged beyond repair. A time when many of us felt trapped and stifled inside our homes yet itched to do something to lessen these traumatic experiences of complete strangers, through our network, writing, or any other means. Glimpses of humanitarian efforts gave us hope that the fire of humanity is still burning.

Do download Harshita Nanda's A Potpourri of Drabble, published as part of the Blogchatter's Ebook carnival at - https://www.theblogchatter.com/download/a-potpourri-of-drabble-by-harshita-nanda and give it a read. You might find your own favourites and relate to a few stories as your own too. 

You can also download my book - Free Rein to Thoughts – a collection of quotes & shorts highlighting the colours and patterns of life at - https://www.theblogchatter.com/download/free-rein-to-thoughts-by-aarthi-prabhakaran

This blog is part of the #BlogchatterEbook carnival & #TBRChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment