Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Baahubali: A Tribute, not a movie review..

If you are expecting a review or spoilers about the movie , then read no further. It is not what this article is about.


Adjectives like stupendous, wow, amazing, spell-bound, brilliant... are probably not enough to describe the "Visual Treat" that the 2-part epic movie "Baahubali" has given Indian Cinema. 

I recently watched the second part - "Baahubali 2: The Conclusion" - with my family (with two generations - youngest being 5 yrs old and the oldest 38 yrs old). The entire movie was a exhilarating masterpiece, executed flawlessly without a dull moment. There were sequences where my young children could not stop their excitement, and clapped & shouted, along with the audience. Each frame of the movie keeps running in front of my eyes even after 48 hours of having watched it in a cinema hall. My husband & I are already making plans to watch it at least once more in the cinema again soon.

I was WOWed with the director S.S. Rajamouli's earlier venture - Mahadeera, but Baahubali surpasses anything that I have seen so far. Having a husband who loves epic movies and having had to give him company watching them, including likes of Brave Heart, Gladiator.. I have had the pleasure of enjoying various war formations and techniques. Also, having grown up in a South Indian household, it is literally impossible to be have grown up without being told about the movie marvel called Chandralekha (1948), directed and produced by Mr. S.S. Vaasan. For an 80-born, I could never relate to the wondrous feeling that my previous generation (50-born) felt about the movie. Yes, I could understand that to have created the sets needed for the famous song that had the huge Murasus (an ancient percussion instrument that was used like the Trojan Horse) and dancers atop these would have needed lot of man power, creativity, budget, and dedication, but it could never give me the WOW feeling that they had. Now, after Baahubali, I know exactly what they would have felt in their time. It would not be wrong if I said, that Baahubali for me and my generation is what Chandralekha was for my parents and grandparents.

Usually we are the last ones to leave the cinema hall. In this case, we were amazed by the entire movie crew's dedication, that when the credits were run in the theatre at the end of the movie, and we stayed till the last frame came up (and the cleaning crew popped in). Kudos to 600+ VFX artists from more than 15 VFX companies for CG, and other technicians including stunt masters, artists, musicians, cinematographers, art directors, ... who came together to create this visual grandeur for us to cherish for generations to come. 

#Baahubali @BaahubaliMovie ‏ #SSRajamouli @ssrajamouli

We take a bow!

No comments:

Post a Comment