Friday, April 21, 2006

Self Responsibility and Self Realization

I guess most of us keep getting forwards on how other countries maintain the cleanliness of their streets and improve the decorum but we as Indians do not do it... Not in our own country and sometimes, not in the country that we visit also. These mails and discussions on the internet actually makes me wonder. How much do we really insist and imbibe this thought of cleanliness in our own lifestyle?

Do we tell our kids not throw litter out of the train window while travelling? Do we consciously make an effort to collect all the garbage that we churn out and put it safely in the dustbins? Most of the times, I have statements, "Naan mattum kuppa podama irundha ooru clean aaiduma?"... meaning, "If I alone do not litter, will the city become a clean place?".

If we are so conscious of keeping our surrounding clean why don't we even tell our closest friends and relatives not to litter? I have been laughed at for collecting all garbage during the travel and get it home for dumping it in the dustbin. But now, there are few around me who also follow the same. This makes me feel happy and my hope that slowly the habit to litter will reduce and we would all become more conscious of our environment increases.

Everytime I get such email fwds talking about keep your surrounding clean, this is what strikes me first. Just thought that I would share what I do with the rest of the world. This habit of littering is not restricted to India or just Indians. Humans all over the world have this lethargy. But we tend not to accept it coz of the rosy picture that we see from what is told to us through media or by people who visit such places. Reality is much different from what is heard or perceived. Let us all take a concious effort to change from within first. This would automatically bring in a change in the entire outlook of the society as a whole. Just my two cents...

2 comments:

  1. Aarthi, definitely something to think about. I, too, don't litter or try my darn-est not to litter. But, I have ofcourse seen many people in different places not thinking about it twice. Many of these same people wouldn't hesitate to turn around and join the complainers about the garbage being spewed around. But I guess since we believe in the do what you can bit... it helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Veena. And this belife of "do what can bit" is what will help in creating the change that people are wanting to create but are not trying in the earnest to do it. If everyone starts believing in this, then there would be no reason to crib and no one needs to be blamed for inadequecies in the society.

    ReplyDelete